Online Security & Identity Theft Resource
For all the convenience the internet brings when it comes to accessing your bank account, it also has its drawbacks. Online identity theft through phishing scams created by criminals has victimized thousands of people in recent years, and these scams are only becoming more elaborate.
If you receive emails asking you to “re-sign up” or “verify your account information”, do not reply or click on any links. Ignore these emails and delete them as they are techniques criminals use to gain access to your personal and account information. Any legitimate financial institution will never ask for your information in this fashion, so please delete these emails if you get them.
You can bring any concerns to our attention by emailing First National Bank – Fox Valley’s technical staff. You can also prevent online identity fraud by following these tips:
- Never give out personal or account information to someone claiming to be a representative of FNB Fox Valley or any other financial institution.
- Make sure every site you enter personal information or credit card information into is secure. Look for “https” and a padlock in the address bar.
- Check all of your accounts regularly for abnormalities.
- Be vigilant when receiving emails asking you to “act immediately.”
- Protect your Social Security number.
- Don’t click on links in suspicious emails.
- Make sure your web browser’s security is up to date.
- Sign up for the Do Not Call registries:
- Monitor your credit report annually
Help! I'm a Victim of Phishing
Follow these steps to reduce the amount of damage done if you’ve been a victim of a phishing scam:
- Notify FNB Fox Valley immediately at 902.729.6900. If it is a weekend, email us requesting a follow up and leave us a daytime phone number that you can be reached at.
Contact one of the three major credit bureaus to have a fraud alert put on your credit report and to receive a free copy of your credit reports (allowed under law once per year).
- Equifax: 1.800.525.6285
- Experian: 1.888.397.3742
- TransUnion: 1.800.680.7289
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission
- Review all banking statements immediately for accuracy
- Close any of your accounts that have been affected and open new ones
- Contact local law enforcement and file a police report
- Contact the Social Security Administration in the event your social security number has been compromised.
- Document all activity (names of people you’ve talked to, dates and times of conversations, etc.)
Protect Yourself with Deluxe Provent
Protect yourself or your business against identity theft with Deluxe Provent's suite of solutions like internet monitoring, credit monitoring, ID restoration, public records monitoring and name and address monitoring. Register for Deluxe Provent's services here or click the link to the left to get started.
If you have any other questions regarding identity theft or phishing scams, you can contact our Customer Care Center by calling 920.729.6900, visiting any of our FNB Fox Valley loactions, or emailing us.